Thursday, December 27, 2007

the sickness knows

Like many things in life, plans in Liberia never seem to pan out as expected! My holidays were good, despite the ‘sickness’ overrunning my body again on Christmas Eve. It wasn’t as terrible as the first round but nonetheless is was not a desirable way to spend my day off! I managed to shake it by late afternoon so that was reassuring. As I mentioned previously, our Christmas plans involved new outfits and Antoinette visiting to join us on a trip to the beach. Well none of that actually happened! Haha I decided to not buy a new top for the day (partially because I anticipated that we wouldn’t actually go out Christmas evening) and instead bought the lapas for the girls and I. And apparently Antoinette’s sister got sick so she had to stay home and care for her sister’s young kids. So there was no beach on Christmas day but we ate plenty of pepper soup, swallowed duma (similar to fufu except it comes from boiling the cassava root and then pounding it into a sticky paste), snacked all afternoon (James stopped by early with a pineapple for us!) and had cabbage green soup in the evening! It’s not often that I encounter greens to eat in this country and I’m really fond of the cabbage greens, so despite the fact that they upset my stomach I ate it! I figure there’s gotta be some good nutrients that my body is taking in before my stomach/intestines freak out! Oh, and we also rented an African show to watch.

No comments: