Saturday, December 8, 2007

foreigner hypochrondria

That’s what i’ve decided to term the condition i have! My mind is like a worst-case scenario survival handbook! Weird things run in and out of my brain, usually involving the phrase ‘death is imminent’ and i rapidly try to mentally disengage the situation’s ‘bomb’! For example, lying in bed the other night (safe inside my mosquito net) i heard a sound that i determined could be a snake coming toward my bed. Then I proceeded to analyze if my mosquito net would protect me from a snake bite (i’m imagining a king cobra or python) and when it doesn’t protect me, how long will i have to get to the hospital before death is imminent. And i pictured where the hospital was and thought about how it’s so difficult to get a cab after dark and wondered who i should call when this snake bite happens – james to report that i’m in danger and need assistance, or my parents since afterall, death is imminent. I also compulsively check my temperature in case i have a fever so that i’ll know early on that i’ve contracted malaria, yellow fever, typhoid fever or any other ‘death is imminent’ type of fever. I constantly ask nelly not to do certain things involving open flames, the gasoline-powered generator, and the gas stove – always with the tagline of ‘please don’t do that, we could explode and die’. Usually when my stomach rumbles i assume i have come down with hepatitis A. When i don’t have to pee at all during the day i imagine i’m slowly dehydrating and will soon collapse into unconsciousness. Any new itches equal incurable rashes or poisonous spider bites – both indicating the death is imminent. I’m still trying to determine which will have a more drastic effect on shortening my life-span – all of the pollution from car and truck exhaust or the intense sun-exposure?

Other than that, things are going very well in Liberia!

No comments: