Friday, January 18, 2008

Surprising but true: Observations in Liberia

  • There are pigeons here – and not just in the city center, here, by my house.
  • Liberians seem to really enjoy country-western music.
  • It’s cultural to drink hot tea in the morning and evening – even while you’re sweating.
  • Nothing costs less than $5LD – coins are out of circulation since the wars destroyed the economy.
  • Not everyone has a clothesline so many people lay their wash on the ground to dry.
  • Jelly sandals (circa 1992) can be found here on the feet of young guys who drive taxis.

4 comments:

Katypie said...

OMG, I hated Jelly Shoes as a child. They always gave me the worst blisters!

Darling sister, I will be emailing you soon (sometime this weekend) with some updates and to gather opinions. I miss you!

Brooke said...

I love jelly shoes. They are coming back into style here. I didn't know if at 26 I could pull them off though.

abbe said...

not gonna lie - i too loved the jelly shoes! i just remember i wasn't allowed to ride my bike with them on and that my clear pair turned this weird yellowy color! haha

Lily said...

I loved my jellies as a kid but as Dane Cook said it the best (paraphrased): "They're great until you get a rock or pebble stuck in it and it would be greatest pain!"