Sunday, January 13, 2008

self-medicating

The beauty of Africa’s medical system doesn’t lie in the lack of infrastructure and disgusting bathroom at JFK hospital, but rather the beauty is in the pharmacies. Firstly, they are plentiful. I know of at least three within walking distance of my house and I’m sure there are more that I just haven’t noticed. Secondly, you don’t need a prescription. Yes, I know this is really hard for Westerner’s to comprehend because we’re used to all the rules that go along with non-OTC drug distribution. I’m not sure that the locals even pay any mind to this fact, but I think it’s quite wonderful. As someone who’s been sick a lot in my years and always interested in knowing what was being prescribed this is my ideal arrangement. In American if I was sick I still had to jump through all the hoops of going to the doctor and explaining which meds would work best for me and then waiting in line at CVS. Not here though – I’m kinda hoping I come down with a little something self-diagnosable just so I can head straight to the pharmacy and request my drug of choice! Haha I don’t really want to get sick so maybe I shouldn’t even play with fire by suggesting that!

My recent pondering of the pharmacy system here was prompted by the dwindling number of anti-malarial pills in my three-month supply that I obtained back in the States when I still had health insurance. This leads to the third point of beauty in this system – no health insurance battles. In my quest to find more preventative malaria meds I visited several pharmacies and a clinic (also a dealer of drugs) and noticed that the prices vary. This is a fabulous, wonderful thing! My preventative drug of choice is Malarone, but you can’t find it in Liberia (this is sad because I love it as it has no side effects); regardless, from what I learned speaking with various ‘pharmacists’ I don’t think I’d be able to afford it even if I could find it here (one woman said that when they do carry it the cost is approx. $45US for only 6 tablets – it has to be taken daily). So this leads me to my second-choice drug: Doxycycline. This one is known for some terrific side effect possibilities over extended use, including but not limited to increased sun-sensitivity (not too convenient since I’m white and living in the tropics), mild hair loss and yeast infections (it’s an antibiotic so taking it daily for many months leads to fun times for ladies!). But from what I’ve learned it’s a pretty common antibiotic and this makes it exceptionally cheap. The first pharmacies I checked sell it for $2-3US for 10 pills, but the fancy looking pharmacy right up the road from my house (conveniently located next to the super market that I frequent) sells it 10 pills for 50LD which is less than $1US (our exchange rate is at 63 these days). So I’m just tickled pink that I can be protected against Malaria for less than $3US a month! Plus, doxy is also used to treat acne and by taking an antibiotic daily I’m hoping that my intestinal distress will be less frequent and I’ll have a little more freedom with my diet!

Oh, and I already asked the pharmacy – they carry the necessary drug for the inevitable yeast infections! Haha

1 comment:

Brooke said...

No malaria for Abbe! I just donated some money so you can buy whatever drugs your heart desires. That doesn't sound exactly how I meant it to. I hope you're doing well. It's been years since I've seen you so when you come back I definitely want to get together.