Friday, October 26, 2007

Abbe's Adventures in Scotland!

I'm here in Glasgow where I'll be for about 2 weeks meeting the AYDAP team that does fundraising from the UK and mixing and mingling with some wonderful people! My flights went well (all 3 of them) and I got here a lot jet-lagged at 10:40 local time Thursday...yep that was a rough 5:40am eastern standard time so my mind was hurting!

Today the Liberian Ambassador arrives, AYDAP made the arrangements so that the auction fundraising event they're hosting tomorrow will be even more exciting. The line-up also includes a gospel choir performance, local soap opera star appearance, and I think they mentioned a comdedian..sometimes with all the accents I get a bit confused! haha But everything is going really well, I'm learning so much about the state of affairs in Glasgow with regard to the large refugee population brought here from all parts of Africa. I also got to meet a great group of high school girls last night that are part of drama workshop program offered for refugees. The group of 7 girls performed at a youth theatre festival in july and we viewed the DVD of their performance last night. It was amazing! Through the workshop they wrote the play and it was about life as asylum seeker...powerful material that they handled with a balance of humor and grace.

Just got a call that I must catch a taxi to the city center for the reception with the Ambassador...more later!

No comments: