Wednesday, November 28, 2007

''She's scary''

That’s what I imagine my water-boy would say about me, that is, if he does actually talk! I think he might just be really shy, but I’m always very nice to him and still he acts super timid. Nelly laughed tonight after he left and told me that he’s afraid of me! Who knows! Haha

If anything, the water-boy should think I’m wonderful and this guy Paul that I met two days ago should consider me scary. He seemed like a genuine, nice human-being when we met walking down my road on Monday, he works for an organization that we’re also working with for the peace festival and since i still strive to develop a social network here i decided it wasn’t a bad idea to exchange numbers...but now I’ve changed my mind! He won’t stop calling! Monday evening he called two times (I explained I was working still and said I would call him Tuesday when I had a chance after work) but Tuesday he called at 7:30am (which i ignored) and then again at 9am, which is when I found myself answering the phone to tell him that yes, I want some friends but he is upsetting me by calling too much and i asked him to stop. He seemed to get the message; I was irritated still yesterday afternoon so I didn’t call him ever. Then today he started up again, called three times (while i was working) throughout the day before I answered this afternoon and explained that he needs to back-off! He explained how his ‘instructor’ told him that today’s friend might be tomorrow’s saviour (not sure at this point if he thinks i’m jesus) and that he should give all his efforts to friendship. I countered with: I don’t need all your efforts, please chill out. He said he’s concerned for me and feels a responsibility and I explained that he doesn’t need to worry, I’m fine. The conversation eventually ended with him asking how many times a day he should call me, and me explaining that he should not call at all, zero times a day, he should just chill out and I will call him when work is not so busy and if I’m interested in speaking with him any further.

I’m not sure if this is the general aggressive approach of the Liberians pursuing friendship – but it was a big red flag in my book and made me question his motives. Even if he does think i will provide his salvation tomorrow, i’m not sure he would get it at the rate he’s badgering me! And no, i will not marry him and take him to America (it wasn’t asked but i was starting to feel unspoken pressure). I’m approached several times each day by ‘friendship seekers’, always young men who want to know all about me and openly declare that they want to me my friend. This guy Paul was the best shot i’ve had at friendship since i’ve arrived here, but he blew it! Good riddance.

The moral here: friendship is hard, at least it seems to be when you’re a white American lady in Africa!

2 comments:

Kyle Crum said...

Maybe since the cultural norms are different you could use the classic lines such as "I'm washing my hair now" and "Sorry, no time. I have to organize my socks." It's always worth a try...

bessiejulia said...

haa ahaaa, Abbe, if only you had more hair so that washing it would be a process someone would believe you need to do instead of talk to them. But if you have to much hair, you'll just sweat more. Yeah that you have a phone! Boo that he thinks you're his white sugar cane momma.