Friday, January 4, 2008

condiments changed my life

Who knew!? The magical power that certain common items hold to turn my day around is quite incredible! Namely, i have a new found appreciation and admiration for a few classics: margarine, Aunt Jemima’s syrup, French’s brown mustard and ground cinnamon. I have been experimenting and discovered many ways to apply these simple additions to my every day meals and with a lot of successful i’ve added immense joy to my diet! The mustard is very tasty with sweet potato fries, can magically transform a standard fried hotdog and has many applications with eggs: hard boiled and fried. The margarine surprised me the most. I wasn’t drawn to it at the super market, having many reservations because of the lack of refrigeration in my house, but it has delighted me on many occasions. The syrup is ideal for French toast (perhaps my favourite treat to cook here) and has additional applications when added to my raw oats and milk at breakfast (toss in some raisins and my day is off to a great start!) or used as a substitution for brown sugar when snacking on warm white rice in milk. My most recent splurge was the cinnamon. It costs the equivalent of $2 US, which is a lot of my budget to spend on a spice when I’m living on approximately $45 US a week. My initial idea was that it would improve my French toast efforts but then I had a revelation in the form of a strong craving for cinnamon toast! My Liberian-version consists of bread (untoasted) with margarine spread on it and topped with a cinnamon sugar combo. But just yesterday I decided to explore another possibility and added some cinnamon and powdered vanilla-flavored milk to my hot tea – it’s just like a chai latte from Starbucks!

No comments: