Wednesday, February 6, 2008

adaptability

My neighbor friend Florence complimented me the other day. She told me: ‘’If you go into the Interior, to the rural areas, it will not be easy for them to witch you’’. I was initially perplexed by this statement, but in essence she was telling me that I’m humble. She explained that sometimes (not only white) people go to places and act better than the locals and that if you do that in Liberia when in the Interior where villages are more traditional they will want to witch you (i.e. when they cook for you they will kill you by poisoning you with witchcraft). She’s been noting how I’m not afraid to try whatever food is being served, sit on the floor if the chairs are all taken, share a spoon to taste some food, pick up the babies even when they’re all dirty, etc. Basically, I’m proving myself as culturally adaptable and go with the flow! She said she really enjoys these things about me and that she thinks it is ‘very fine’ that I am so humble and non-demanding.

I truly believe that the only way to experience different cultures is by jumping in. I studied travel and tourism during university and I remember in one of my very first intro. courses the professor explained that the difference between being a tourist and a traveller lies in your decision to submerge yourself in your destination. By aiming to ‘blend in’ (this can be tricky when race differences are obvious but still accomplishable because it’s all about your attitude and ability to assimilate to the cultural norms) you are taking a risk that things may not be within your comfort zone nor what you’re used to in your daily life. But assimilating to the culture is the only way to really ‘get it’! I love being a traveller because of the immense opportunities to learn and grow and take on adventures. And it’s rewarding to know that my intentional efforts to ‘be Liberian’ are being noticed and appreciated.

In other ‘witch’ news: Nelly has ruled out the most recent possibility of a room for her to move into because she heard from her friend/friend’s mom that there’s witchcraft in the house. There’s nothing more I can even say about that!

2 comments:

bessiejulia said...

Nice post lady! I like it, and totally agree. You have to want to fit in to actually do it.

So says the light haired whiteys...

Yonna said...

funny...we just discussed the whole tourist/traveller thing in Kelly Victors class...made me think of you...and then you mention it here. (That as Uncle Gabe's class, wasn't it?)...and yes, your humility fits you well.

As for Nelly, on the other hand...hmmph!